Question Asked by : Do I need to worry about planting a crape myrtle tree too close to septic system, because of roots?
I know some trees you need to worry about the root system growing into drain fields. I’m not sure if a crape myrtle is 1 of those type of trees. Need to know how large the root system gets.
Answer by fluffernut
You are pretty safe. You have to watch the larger trees such as willows. Crape myrtle is not a large tree.
Another concern is if you have a water softener. The salt discharge is hard on plants that enter the leach field. I’m assuming you are talking about the field, not the septic tank. Generally avoid trees, large shrubs or parking cars or other heavy stuff on the septic tank.
Answer by meanolmaw
what kind of crape myrtle?…. not that I’d ever let one get that close to my drain field…. but…if you have miniatures, the best they can do is about four ft…… but if you have a tree type, like the Natchez, you’re looking at a twenty ft tree and those roots will TRAVEL!!…. all the septic websites tell you, “nothing but grass over a drain field..”… and on the edges of the field, you should avoid those large plants with big root systems… small shallow roots, like with some shrubs might be okay, but trees are notorious for causing problems down the line as they mature….
Answer by Nadja
You can try here for more info with that.
Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!
Incoming Search Terms:
- can you plant a crepe mytle close to the drainfield
- are crape myrtles safe to plant by septic drain field
- did I plant crepe myrtle too close to leach field?
- how close can you plant next to a fosse septic
- how far fom drainfield can you plant creptmertals
- if you cut back crape myrtle roots will it harm the tree?
- planting crepe Myrtle near septic tank
- planting crepe myrtle trees next to septic
- ROOT SYSTEM CREPE MYRTLE
- crepe myrtle trees root system
- crepe myrtle tree root system
- crepe myrtle tree over a septic drain field
- crepe myrtle septic
- crepe myrtle roots septic issues
- crape myrtle trees root system
- crape myrtle roots system
- can crepe myrtle threaten sewer lines
- Are Crepe Myrtle Roots Invasive
- will my crype myrtle damage my septic system